Many of the challenges confronting today’s world recognize no borders. Solving them will require cross-cultural communication and frameworks of mutual respect and understanding. A degree from the School of Global Studies and Languages provides our students with the skills they need for full participation in global communities and success in the workplace.
No peer college or university combines international and global studies with language, literature, and culture programs the way we do. Our students graduate with an understanding of global issues that cut across borders. They also learn to appreciate the diversity and uniqueness of specific cultures and ways of life.
Current UO Students
The degree programs at the School of Global Studies and Languages bring students into direct contact with people from all walks of life. We emphasize:
- Top-notch language instruction
- Professional pathways that prepare students for careers
- Intercultural experiences like study abroad and community-based learning
Our MA and PhD students study a range of topics with our research faculty, from film and gender studies to poetry and African studies. The goal for GSL graduate students is to walk away from their time at the University of Oregon with considerable relevant teaching experience, significant exposure to relevant research in their subject area, and a feeling of accomplishment.
- Most admitted graduate students hold a teaching or research fellowship that provides a tuition waiver, health insurance, and a stipend for living expenses.
- The job and fellowship placement rate among graduates of graduate programs at the University of Oregon is 91%.
Scholarships & Funding
Our participating departments offer a variety of funding opportunities to undergraduate majors and graduate students. The College of Arts and Sciences and the UO also offer scholarships to which all students may apply.